Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Going Veg!


A fact I previously knew nothing about is that October is "World Veg Month".

The way I see it, World Veg Month promotes a more considerate approach to our eating - in regards to animals, our health and even some causes of environmental degradation.

Now, I'm a pretty typical red-blooded Kiwi guy who has never been too fussy or selective about food.

However, over the past few years, I've become more enlightened to the world of food processing and it's effects on animals and the environment - as a result, I eat less meat than I used to, only buy free range bacon and eggs and dabble a lot more in vegetarian and vegan options when I eat out.

However, I am thoroughly addicted to chorizo and those little cans of tuna are so easy to add to rice and pasta...

So when it was suggested to me to try out a 30-day challenge to go meat-free, I thought...well, I'll give it a go!

One reason why I was a little concerned is that I'm in the middle of rehearsals for the Kensington Swan season of Jesus Christ Superstar here in Auckland - a change in routine and demanding schedule is never easy so add a change in diet as well and I'll be challenged for sure.

It looks like I'll be targeting easy, energy and protein-rich meals as much as I can.

Today is the first day of the challenge, one which I'll keep you up to date with via this blog. I'll try to post my feelings around the change in diet as well as any choice recipes that come my way.

It'd also be awesome if anyone reading this can relate and send me their favourite veg recipes to try out.

If you feel like joining me on this journey, there is information and recipe packs available at the Go Veg site where you can also make the pledge to join the cause and receive support as you go.

First meal = breakfast....nice and easy. Toast!


1 comment: